[svlug] Building simple web based sysadmin tools

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sat Jul 29 21:51:57 PDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 02:31:49AM +0000, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 01:36:14AM +0200, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> > Using flask may be overkill but it will avoid all the common security
> > mistakes you could make building things from scratch  for the 2 or 3
> > things you'll anyway need.
> >
> > Recently I've been asking if there was any other alternative to consider
> > for "scripting language" substitute, especially because I had a vague
> > interest in more serious multithread support and people came up with
> > rust and go.
> >
> > They both seemed reasonable choices, they have good and abundant
> > libraries and I had a slight preference for rust.
> >
> > Still they were completely new language for me and they didn't pay the
> > bill for my modest interest in multithreading.
> >
> > I think perl is too ambiguous (someone call it more "expressive") to
> > write more than 30 lines of code.
> >
> > What I think is left to consider are ruby and python. I'm more fluent in
> > python, if I were more fluent in ruby I would chose it without getting
> > into a feud.
> >
> > I've used flask for small tools. Give a look to bottle if you're looking
> > for something really minimal.
>
> Hi Ivan and Robert,
>
> Have you checked out Jupyter notebooks?
> http://jupyter.org
>
> This media is great because you don't have to put up a web service nor deal
> with all the security issues. You can publish them privately behind a firewall
> or publically for anyone to view and interact with.
>
> https://nbviewer.jupyter.org
>
> nbviewer for publically accessible notebooks. Free. Hosted by Rackspace. Or
> you run your own either privately or publically.
>
> In any event and independent of Jupyter notebooks, Python is the way to go in
> my mind. Any new code ought to be in python3.

Hi,
I stumbled upon this excellent example of a Jupyter notebook.

https://r2rt.com/implementing-batch-normalization-in-tensorflow.html

That page is a Jupyter notebook that the author self-published. If you look
through the comments, someone found the link to the actual Jupyter notebook
as well.

It's clearly a very powerful presentation media that is open source and
very versatile. And as this example shows, even if you have a web service
running, you can self publish Jupyter notebooks. I think the key issue is
that it would take much more work to publish that page without using the
Jupyter notebook media. And so it's worth becoming familiar with it.

I've read through other Jupyter notebooks, and the media is very versatile
in the information content one can publish.

enjoy,
Karen
--
Karen Shaeffer                 The subconscious mind is driven by your deeply
Neuralscape Services           held beliefs -- not your deeply held desires.