[svlug] Building simple web based sysadmin tools

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Jul 19 16:36:14 PDT 2017

Using flask may be overkill but it will avoid all the common security
mistakes you could make building things from scratch  for the 2 or 3
things you'll anyway need.

Recently I've been asking if there was any other alternative to consider
for "scripting language" substitute, especially because I had a vague
interest in more serious multithread support and people came up with
rust and go.

They both seemed reasonable choices, they have good and abundant
libraries and I had a slight preference for rust.

Still they were completely new language for me and they didn't pay the
bill for my modest interest in multithreading.

I think perl is too ambiguous (someone call it more "expressive") to
write more than 30 lines of code.

What I think is left to consider are ruby and python. I'm more fluent in
python, if I were more fluent in ruby I would chose it without getting
into a feud.

I've used flask for small tools. Give a look to bottle if you're looking
for something really minimal.

On 07/20/2017 12:27 AM, Robert Freiberger wrote:
> Hello SVLUG,
>
> I've been working on Stack Clash patching and need to run some automated
> count down reports for my team. We have Google Docs at work but I wanted
> a simple page to display the current data and maybe a button to refresh
> the query.
>
> Previously (many years ago) I wrote some tools using Perl and the CGI
> module, I haven't deeply explored Perl5 in years and wonder if there's
> another solution.
>
> Once I have this working I like to add a database and extend the report
> to include various details but right now the working sketch of the site
> can be extremely simple.
>
> Very welcome to suggestions and ideas. I'm pretty sure I could make
> something in Python and Flask but since the requirements are so simple,
> this might be overkill for the task.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert
>

> --