[svlug] Booting to different kernel?

crquan crquan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 00:00:07 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 7:30 PM, Karen Shaeffer <shaeffer at neuralscape.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 06:49:50PM -0700, John Conover wrote:
>>
>> Ubuntu vmlinuz-2.6.32-61-generic-pae locks up my networking after an
>> update this morning.
>>
>> Holding down the shift key and booting to 2.6.32.60, and things work
>> fine.
>>
>> How do I boot to 2.6.32.60, permanently?
> --- end quoted text ---
>
> Hey John,
> Well, you can take a look in /boot/grub/menu.lst to see how grub figures out
> which kernel to boot.

Yes, you may look /boot/grub/menu.lst and better to change in
/etc/default/grub (For Ubuntu),
there you may just change one line GRUB_DEFAULT=... and run
update-grub to update
/boot/grub/menu.lst; if you manually change /boot/grub/menu.lst,
that's not recommended,
because in future if you update ubuntu, get another kernel will
overwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst,
so you'd better to change /etc/default/grub, future kernel upgrades
would take care of that,

$ cat /etc/default/grub
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0

'GRUB_DEFAULT'
     The default menu entry.  This may be a number, in which case it
     identifies the Nth entry in the generated menu counted from zero,
     or the title of a menu entry, or the special string 'saved'.  Using
     the id may be useful if you want to set a menu entry as the default
     even though there may be a variable number of entries before it.

     For example, if you have:

     menuentry 'Example GNU/Linux distribution' --class gnu-linux --id
example-gnu-linux {
     }

     then you can make this the default using:

          GRUB_DEFAULT=example-gnu-linux