[svlug] Android 10" tablet to use with cellphone ISP & Linux laptop & desktop. Coby Kyros Frys $200?

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Sat Oct 22 00:24:25 PDT 2011

I'm wondering what capability android (RAM, processor) tablet to get.

I'd like to have something
lightweight to carry around when I don't want to carry a laptop,
I could use as a web browser, through my cell phone internet capability
(Samsung Intercept Android through Virgin Mobil/Sprint).

Tablet & phone communication through bluetooth or wifi.

This week Frys has the Coby 10" for $200.
Coby Kyros 10.1" Tablet Android 2.3   Model: MID1125-4G
http://www.frys.com/product/6819756
http://www.frys.com/onlineads/0001503008?vid=uLop9990xA?plu=6819756
http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/FSI/Page.aspx?advid=200177&loc=53824&fsi=18965&version=Mercury&facing=false&pagenum=3

http://www.cobyusa.com/?p=prod&prod_num_id=10579&pcat_id=3001

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-10-1-Inch-Internet-Touchscreen-Capacitive/dp/B004QPAJOW
(customer reviews)

[2 weeks ago Frys had a 10" ican tablet $120,
but the reviews weren't great on amazon,
ican didn't seem to have an active website or support email/phone.]

$200 is about maximum I'd spend now for this device.
Maybe I should hold out a few months & look for something in the
$250-$300 range? Or, wait for those prices to drop a bit?

Primarily for web browsing, & saving web pages.
Also for writing & viewing documents. PDFs. Slide presentations.

I'd probably like to move data between my desktop, laptop & the tablet.
Perhaps document synchronization.

Maybe watch small youtube vids.

Any thoughts?

Anyone using 10" android tablets?

=========
Amazon customer reviews:

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
3.0 out of 5 stars Coby 1125 does not send Skype video, October 6, 2011
By merlin "merlin" (erehwon) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Coby Kyros 10.1-Inch Android 2.3 4 GB Internet
Touchscreen Tablet with Capacitive Touchscreen - MID1125-4G (Black)
(Personal Computers)
Coby Kyros 10.1-Inch Android 2.3 4 GB Internet Touchscreen Tablet with
Capacitive Touchscreen - MID1125-4G (Black)

I purchased this Coby Kyros 1125 because it has Android 2.3.3 expecting
it to send out video when doing skype video chatting, but it does not. I
have downloaded and installed at least 35 variations of the skype.apk
from many Android forums but not one of them enabled me to send out
skype video. You can see your skype caller, but they cannot see you
because the Coby camera does not work on skype video. Perhaps you may be
lucky in hunting down the correct skype apk that send/receive video. But
I spent about 20 hours hunting in total, and it's ridiculous. Time to
switch to another brand.

The mic on this Coby 1125 is of inferior quality such that you have to
speak 3 inches from the mic to be heard on the caller's end. I tested
the mic quality by making a video with the .3mp built-in camera. When
played back, the sound is inaudible unless you press your ear against
the back speakers. Even when I downloaded an audio recording app the
sound recording was just as pathetic.

This 1125 is okay if you just want to play youtube or your own videos of
various formats, wmv, avi, flv, etc. Surfing the internet or playing
netflix are okay, but if you plan to use this 1125 for skype video
chatting, then keep looking.

When playing Netflix or your videos, the color looks washed-out. But for
a 10" tablet under $250 for general surfing it is okay if you're not
fussy.

Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Coby Kyros Android 10", October 17, 2011
By R. RAMSEY "HelpthePeople" (Gilbert, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Coby Kyros 10.1-Inch Android 2.3 4 GB Internet
Touchscreen Tablet with Capacitive Touchscreen - MID1125-4G (Black)
(Personal Computers)
A really good tablet for the price. I would have liked it to have
bluetooth, but otherwise it works perfectly with the "capacitive" touch
screen. The battery last a long time also, and there are plenty of FREE
apps available as well as PAID ones.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

5 of 12 people found the following review helpful:
2.0 out of 5 stars Decieving description, September 30, 2011
By Gordon Randall (Nashville) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Coby Kyros 10.1-Inch Android 2.3 4 GB Internet
Touchscreen Tablet with Capacitive Touchscreen - MID1125-4G (Black)
(Personal Computers)
This product states 4G in it's description but it is not. Additionally,
it is not user friendly. You have to add apps from a secondary source
and they are difficult if not impossible to load. I gave this as a gift
and I believe I was misled by the product description and it's stated
capabilities. Customer support told us THAT THIS TABLET IS NOT SUPPORTED
FOR USE WITH GOOGLE ANDROID MARKET. WHAT A RIP!
Note that despite the misleading product label "MID7015-4G" here on
Amazon, this unit is a "MID7015", and 4G stands for 4GB (internal drive
space), not 4G cellular wireless. It has no 4G modem. It also does not
have a GPS receiver and no straightforward way to connect an external
antenna. That is one thing I would have really liked it to do. So far I
have not been able to get the webcam to connect to any video chat client
but I only spent a few minutes working at it with Google Chat. Out of
the box, all the webcam does is stares back at you, and the photo/video
quality isn't the best. I'm pretty confident that can be remedied with
some kind of app, either on the web or in one of the app stores. It does
not have bluetooth. Many options exist in the slightly-more-expensive
$250 to $350 range that do include these features; so if you'll use them
(as I suspect many folks will), this isn't going to meet your needs.
But, just to have a fun around-the-house or around-the-office e-reader,
email checker, multimedia player, and basic web surfer, this is
absolutely right on the money. And, obviously, it's leaps and bounds
better-made (both the hardware and the software) than the stupid "ePad"
I bought last year.

==  Smartphone Debian:  http://wiki.debian.org/Smartphone
Join in the Global monthly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture