[svlug] Bash for an 11 year old?

Tom Digby bubbles at well.com
Thu Oct 6 21:24:49 PDT 2011

On 10/06/2011 10:42 AM, Bob Smith wrote:
> The robot will be Linux based of course so I've given him
> an old single board computer with Ubuntu server on it.  It

> So the question: can you recommend a beginning Linux book
> suitable for a bright 11 year old?  It does not/should not
> deal with the common Linux GUIs as these won't be on the
> final robot.  Something like "Bash for First Time Computer
> Users".

If there's a good used book store near you, how about an old (pre-GUI)
book on Linux?  Or maybe there's something languishing in your attic?

The shell commands haven't changed all that much since the days of
floppy-based Linux distros, so an old book may be just the thing to go
with the old board.  And the price is likely to be right.

You may need to give him some hints as to what's changed that he'll need
to look out for, but even so this may be the way to go.

--
                   Tom Digby
                   http://www.well.com/~bubbles/