[svlug] 'Raspberry Pi' is a $25 computer on a USB drive

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:54:49 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 20:33, Sarah Newman <newmans at sonic.net> wrote:
> It seems like a few more bucks could have gotten significantly better
> hardware.

Always the case. Do you remember the Sinclair ZX-80? GBP25 to start,
and then you could add well over a thousand GBP in expansions and
accessories. Sinclair liked to talk about his time as a parts buyer,
and how he minimized the cost of the system.

I have been through those arguments in the One Laptop Per Child case.
A number of people gave us grief because we sacrificed the nominal
$100 price point in order to have enough RAM and Flash to run the
software needed. We ended up at $189, including currency fluctuations,
with manufacturing in China.

Our next price target is $75, for the XO-3 tablet.

> Anyone seen a costed BOM?

I'm about to write to them about running Sugar software on the RP, so I'll ask.