[svlug] Weird fan sounds

John Sokol john.sokol at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 15:29:39 PDT 2011

I have to go with Jesse on this and think you should make sure it's not a
hardware issue before trying to play with the OS and software.

I can't even count how many times I've seen fans go weird, running slow,
squeaking, buzzing, whirring, speeding up and slowing down. It's always been
the hardware.

Usually if I deliberately run something cpu intensive for a minute or so,
then I will hear the fan kick up. You could do such a test,
 There are a number of Windows apps that will show cpu temperatures and
allow you to generate loads on the cpu.

In your case you can just generate a load and see how the fan reacts,. I
know there's a linux module to read fan speeds temps etc. too. forget the
name now.

John