[svlug] firefox plug-ins: TACO any issue I forgot?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 16 07:57:37 PDT 2011

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

That's because (going by the head code), ./firefox/install.rdf inside
the .xpi file includes:

        <em:minVersion>1.5</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>5.*</em:maxVersion>

If you wish to temporarily have a local barely-modified branch of the
head code, just change that 5.* to 6.*, run 'make' to repackage (rezip)
the .xpi archive, and see if it works.

The 'max' tag is, it appears to me, just a safeguard to make sure you
don't accidentally assume an extension if compatible with versions for
which the extension author hasn't tested it.  Doesn't prevent _you_, the
browser user, from locally deciding 'OK, sure, I know Jim Hobbs hasn't
certified this code for Firefox/Iceweasel 6.0, but I'm fine with using
it anyway.'

Of course, it's possible that Firefox's extensions interface has
substantially changed; I wouldn't know.  But you could try it and find
out.  Frankly, since BeefTaco is pretty much just a set of HTTP cookies,
I don't think incompatibility is likely.

> While firefox checks for installed plug-in updates, once a plug-in
> becomes unsupported by a newer version I doubt I'll get a reminder.
> I couldn't see any rss, newsletter, whatever on any of the sites.

True.  Where available, I always urge using distro packages for Firefox
extensions, in preference to going upstream.  But then, you won't be
getting upstream head versions, for better or worse -- and, of course,
not everything's packaged.  (Debian doesn't yet have a BeefTaco
package, FWIW.)

--
Rick Moen               "Do not refer to inhabitants of Lesbos as 'Lesbians',
rick at linuxmafia.com     even if they did experiment that one time in college."