[svlug] firefox plug-ins: TACO any issue I forgot?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 16 06:29:28 PDT 2011

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> I remember I've installed TACO plug-in as suggested in Rick's talk.

Actually, I recommended the open-source fork of TACO (Targeted
Advertising Cookie Optout), called BeefTaco.

TACO was a set of long-lived HTTP 'opt-out' cookies that pre-empted
common obnoxious ad-network cookies, but it went proprietary and bloated
after v.2.0.  BeefTaco is John Hobbs and Ryan Wolf's maintained open
source fork of TACO v.2.0.

Quoting Hobbs:

  Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out (TACO) is a Firefox plugin that
  jumped the shark. In 3.0 they introduced new features, and a bunch of
  fancy gui stuff to match it. This removed the simple, painless beauty
  that was TACO 2.0.

  To quote a review:

    Unbelievable how this very good Add-on (TACO 2.0) could fall so deep.
    The new version (3.0.x) is a nightmare. It's bloated (up to 3MB), slow
    and has a terrible Preference-dialog (more like a christmas tree).

    You are well-advised to avoid the new version and go back to 2.0.
    "Nightly Tester Tools" or/ and "MR Tech Toolkit" will help you to make
    it compatible. Or do it manual.

  I'm desperately disappointed.

  Beef Taco is a fork of TACO 2.0, before the new features and UI, and
  kept up to date with the most recent Firefox versions. This is not a
  replacement for all the goodies that are in TACO 3.0+, and there are
  some useful tools, it's just a path back to a simpler time.

http://jmhobbs.github.com/beef-taco/