[svlug] fsck on HD booted from CD???

Nick Austin nick at smartaustin.com
Sun Jan 28 23:23:53 PST 2007

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 07:22:37PM -0800, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:01:22 -0700, Skip Evans wrote:
<..snip..>
> This thread has gone on for a while, and the state of Skip's hard disk
> still has not been established.

Seems pretty established to me :)

> To firmly establish that this hard disk is
> already toast, or to fail to establish it if it's not the case, I would do
> the following:
>
> 1) Boot a recent Knoppix CD and get a root shell.

Amazing that this is missing badblocks. I would really have expected it on
almost all "live" environment CDs.

badblocks will give you a definitive answer as to the health of your disk.

> 2) dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null #this is non-destructive

This is another good test.

> 3) smartctl -a /dev/hda

It's not clear that smartctl will give you any kind of useful answer.

I've had smartctl tell me that a drives health checks passed when nothing
could be read from the drive (all reads failed with Uncorrectable error). I'm
sure that the efficacy of this tool is very implementation dependent.