[svlug] fsck on HD booted from CD???

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Jan 28 19:22:37 PST 2007

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:01:22 -0700, Skip Evans wrote:

> Hey Nick & all,
>
> Yes, the errors look very much like that.
>
> So how long will it be before the mechanical hard
> drive goes the way of the dial telephone and are
> only used by bitter old men with Einstein hairdos
> muttering incomprehensively about the day when
> people respected things like quality workmanship
> and the plain old four dollar cup of coffee?
>
> Jus' wondering.
>
> Skip

This thread has gone on for a while, and the state of Skip's hard disk
still has not been established. To firmly establish that this hard disk is
already toast, or to fail to establish it if it's not the case, I would do
the following:

1) Boot a recent Knoppix CD and get a root shell.
2) dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null #this is non-destructive
3) smartctl -a /dev/hda

If the drive is toast, the above WILL prove it. Failure to prove it
represents hope. That is all.