[svlug] fsck on HD booted from CD???

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Sun Jan 28 15:10:15 PST 2007

Hey Nick & all,

Well, I got Xubuntu to boot again and dmesg came
up with errors on the HD, so I tried this:

fsck -y /dev/sda

And it said the following:

Bad magic number in superblock...

and it suggested running

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda

...which I did and got exactly the same results.

So you think this hard drive is boofed? That would
be a bummer because it is only about three months
old. But they're more likely to go bad in their
youth than middle age, eh? Just like people, I guess.

Skip

--
Skip Evans
Big Sky Penguin, LLC