[svlug] Firewalls?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 24 17:50:35 PST 2007

Quoting Nick Austin (nick at smartaustin.com):

> I guess I should say before this long winded point by point rebuttal,
> that I mostly agree with you Rick, but find some of your counter
> arguments suspect.

You're entitled to your view, of course, and I'm delighted to "agree to
disagree" -- with the proviso that, yeah, I'm not really taking your
posts very seriously, quite intentionally.  Not enough time, nor enough
percentage in it, sorry.  (As I explained when you buttonholed me in
private e-mail with the very same material about an hour ago, it's
absolutely nothing personal.)

I think your reasoning has almost all been obviously specious, and don't
intend to lavish time going through them.  Others have posted relevant
commentary which you should consider even if mine isn't getting through
to you, e.g., Don Marti's and John Conover's.

Also, of course, if you don't have time to read Cheswick and Bellovin's
referenced text (which is a full book), you can get some of the same
basic points from Marcus J. Ranum's breathtakingly concise and darkly
funny essay, "What Sun Tzu Would Say".  You already have the URL, since
this post replicates in large part the offlist discussion you tried to
draw me into (which I declined).

Of course, that would require you to review your underlying gadget-freak
approach, which strike me as unlikely -- though I'd love to be wrong.

Sorry if the above is a bit blunt, but, well, I'm trying to give it to
you straight, and you did ask for my feedback explicitly.