[svlug] Firewalls?

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Jan 24 10:19:37 PST 2007

begin Rick Moen quotation of Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 03:51:02AM -0800:

> I think my favourite example is the Kriegsmarine officer, stationed in
> occupied Norway, who almost every morning got up, set his Enigma box to
> the ultra-secret settings du jour, typed in "Nichts zu berichten"
> (nothing to report), radioed the ciphertext to Berlin -- and thereby
> handed the British and Polish cryptographers in Bletchley Park an
> instant known-plaintext "crib".

During World War I, pre-Enigma, one German security
officer sent out long coded messages admonishing
the rest of the army about how to use the codebooks
securely.  The known plaintext for the Allies was
his name at the end of each message.

Lots of good crypto stories in David Kahn's _The
Codebreakers_ for those who like this kind of thing.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org