[svlug] Firewalls?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 24 03:51:02 PST 2007

Quoting John Conover (conover at rahul.net):

> In point of fact, for example, all high level governmental/military
> cracks that have occurred, (as far as we know, enigma/purple/etc.,)
> were cracked due to sloppy "operational" practices, (specifically, a
> clear text version of a non-confidential message being sent to back up
> an encrypted version sent over an SOP encrypted channel-allowing the
> keys being used to be deciphered by automated combinatoric processes
> and then used to decrypt other messages, or variant thereof.)

I think my favourite example is the Kriegsmarine officer, stationed in
occupied Norway, who almost every morning got up, set his Enigma box to
the ultra-secret settings du jour, typed in "Nichts zu berichten"
(nothing to report), radioed the ciphertext to Berlin -- and thereby
handed the British and Polish cryptographers in Bletchley Park an
instant known-plaintext "crib".

--
Cheers,                               I remember Fred, 1919 - 2005.
Rick Moen                        http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/fred.html
rick at linuxmafia.com