[svlug] Fluxbunut & Xubuntu

Evan Klitzke eklitzke.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 01:17:24 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 09:56 -0700, Skip Evans wrote:
> Someone on the list suggested Fluxbuntu since I
> like the Fluxbox desktop, but then Koa, the sys
> admin, suggested Xubuntu and I believe, though I'm
> not certain, he said that this distro is
> maintained by the Ubuntu team, so it may be a
> better choice for that reason.

Sorry for the late reply :-) I think that your decision on this matter
should be guided by the following fact: fluxbox is just a window
manager, XFCE is a desktop environment. If all you want is a window
manager, then fluxbox is all you need, but personally I find having an
actual DE much more convenient, and the amount of memory you would be
saving by going with fluxbox rather than XFCE wouldn't be a whole lot.
XFCE also integrates well with Gnome and Gnome-centric apps (e.g. it
uses GTK, and has support for Gnome startup notifications).

--
Evan Klitzke