[svlug] Web-based iptables management

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Tue Jan 23 06:31:28 PST 2007

I'm looking for a web-based iptables management tool...

The only thing I have found so far, is a plugin for webmin - webmin is
Massive overkill, and I'm a little concerned about the security of it
anyway.

Anyone familiar with other options?

Background: I setup Ubuntu Dapper for a small school, and due to the
limitations of their network (managed router) I setup the server as a
(mostly) transparent bridge (it has an IP address.) The people who
operate it are somewhat technical (computer teachers that have taken a
"networking 101" class at the votech,) but don't know linux at all. The
machine is headless, so traditional GTK / QT based tools won't work.  I
chose Ubuntu over something like monowall because I'm most familiar with
debian, and the machine is also a Samba / web server / transparent squid
proxy. All the machines inside the network have real routable IP
addresses (/25 net.)