[svlug] New server plans moving forward

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 21 22:42:58 PST 2007

Quoting Jeff Frost (jeff at frostconsultingllc.com):

> Actually, I foolishly mentioned the extreme case, but didn't mention the
> more likely case which is when you lose 2 drives.  In an 8 disk RAID 5, if
> you lose 2 drives in a short period of time, you're dead for sure even if
> you have a hot spare.  In an 8 disk RAID10, if you lose 2 drives, it's
> unlikely you'll lose the entire array, but still possible (1 in 7?).

It's an imperfect world; you protect against loss cases that you can
afford and have time and patience for.

That having been said, "losing two drives in a short period of time"
tends to entail either a PSU / AC surge catastrophe or heat buildup.
In my experience, either of those is every bit as likely to fry 6-8
drives as it is three.

Of course, if smartd suggests you're about to have a heat catastrophe,
or for any other reason you're about to lose a bunch of drives, you
_power the frelling thing down_.

> I don't think that at all about you guys and don't even know which server
> we're speaking of.  This was just an academic conversation for me, so again
> I apologize for interrupting.

Not a problem.  (I _so_ love the Internet.)