[svlug] New server plans moving forward

Nick Austin nick at smartaustin.com
Sun Jan 21 21:27:08 PST 2007

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 07:56:29PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
<..snip..>
> (2) Within a day or two, I'd scrounge a replacement drive, cycle over to
> the colo, bring down the array, replace the failed drive, bring up the
> machine, and add the replacement as the new hot spare.

One thing you could do a little differently here by taking advantage of your
SCA connectors is this:

cat /proc/mdstat
Find out which device name has failed.

ls -l /sys/block/<failed dev name>/device/scsi_device*
Get the ID of the device to be removed.

echo "scsi remove-single-device 0 0 4 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

Swap the device, and

echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 4 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

Then fdisk, and add the device to the array with mdadm.

If you go this route, then you can keep the server up.

Thanks!