[svlug] Firefox/Thunderbird closing

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Sun Jan 21 09:31:29 PST 2007

Hey all,

Okay, so one of my Firefox instances just crashed
and all I got from the shell where I opened it was
'Segmentation fault.'

I guess I'll just put up with this until I install
Ubuntu.

And now I'm wondering what my desktop options are
on Ubuntu. I like Fluxbox for it's light, no
nonsense look and feel. I really don't need, and
frankly get annoyed, at bouncing mouse icons, etc.
If it looks too much like Windows I get fussy.

Any suggestions? I would assume I can run Fluxbox
on Ubuntu. Is this correct?

Skip

Erik Steffl wrote:
> Skip Evans wrote:
>
>>Hey all,
>>
>>I have two Debian workstations running a 2.6
>>kernel and on both them Firefox and Thunderbird
>>will just close at seemingly random times.

>>Versions are:
>>Thunderbird: 1.0.2
>>Firefox: 1.0.4
>

>    these are very old, I'd upgrade,
>
>    are you using debian stable? Those version seem old even for debian
> stable.
>
>    Debian is great and all but for any desktop usage _I_ would only use
> unstable exactly because of issues like this one - both firefox and
> thunderbird are a LOT better now and you don't want to waste time on
> debugging/troublshooting problems that have been fixed already...
>
>    there's a repository that backports new app to stable
> (http://www.backports.org/), not sure how good it is
>
>    another option might be ubuntu (I think it's kinda like better tested
> debian unstable, not sure though)
>
> 	erik

Skip Evans
Big Sky Penguin, LLC
61 W Broadway
Butte, Montana 59701
406-782-2240

Check out PHPenguin, a lightweight and versatile
PHP/MySQL development framework.

http://phpenguin.bigskypenguin.com