[svlug] Firefox/Thunderbird closing

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Sat Jan 20 14:16:31 PST 2007

Skip Evans wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have two Debian workstations running a 2.6
> kernel and on both them Firefox and Thunderbird
> will just close at seemingly random times.
> Versions are:
> Thunderbird: 1.0.2
> Firefox: 1.0.4

   these are very old, I'd upgrade,

   are you using debian stable? Those version seem old even for debian
stable.

   Debian is great and all but for any desktop usage _I_ would only use
unstable exactly because of issues like this one - both firefox and
thunderbird are a LOT better now and you don't want to waste time on
debugging/troublshooting problems that have been fixed already...

   there's a repository that backports new app to stable
(http://www.backports.org/), not sure how good it is

   another option might be ubuntu (I think it's kinda like better tested
debian unstable, not sure though)

	erik