[svlug] botnets

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 13:33:16 PST 2007

On 1/9/07, Joe Buck <Joe.Buck at synopsys.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 09:22:12PM -0800, Chris Miller wrote:
> > > <embed class="humor">
> > >
> > > You're missing the point.  If you don't have anything worth stealing,
> > > you can run Windows and still get away without getting hacked.
> > >
> > > </embed>
>
> I often hear people say this: they say they don't worry about the security
> of their kids' windows system because there is nothing worth stealing.
> But the machine itself is worth stealing, and if it can be added to a
> botnet, that's exactly what happens.  The machine's CPU power and network
> bandwidth will then belong to the bad guy.

Yup.  That's why I embedded the humor.

I guess I'm trying to satarize that the trend has changed.  It used to
be all about protecting your personal information, like your address,
credit cards, bank numbers, passwords, and just about everything else
that can lead someone to you.  Now it's gone further.  Now we need to
protect the computer itself!  That's scary!

--