[svlug] botnets

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 9 12:21:07 PST 2007

Quoting Robert Hajime Lanning (lanning at lanning.cc):

> And who said they are hacking you to steal from you.  The purpose
> of taking over your Windows box is to use its resources (bandwidth,
> IP, CPU...)

...and perform _other_ illegal actions, sometimes, that appear to be
being carried out by you -- creating the risk of your suddenly having to
defend yourself against criminal charges.  (Yes, it's happened, numerous
times.)  And steal your logins/passwords, any financial data you expose
on the computer, etc.  I don't know why so many people have a difficult
time grasping why this outcome is very bad, but they do.

--
Cheers,                               I remember Fred, 1919 - 2005.
Rick Moen                        http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/fred.html
rick at linuxmafia.com