[svlug] botnets

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Tue Jan 9 09:25:42 PST 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 09:22:12PM -0800, Chris Miller wrote:
> > <embed class="humor">
> >
> > You're missing the point.  If you don't have anything worth stealing,
> > you can run Windows and still get away without getting hacked.
> >
> > </embed>

I often hear people say this: they say they don't worry about the security
of their kids' windows system because there is nothing worth stealing.
But the machine itself is worth stealing, and if it can be added to a
botnet, that's exactly what happens.  The machine's CPU power and network
bandwidth will then belong to the bad guy.