[svlug] botnets

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Mon Jan 8 15:53:25 PST 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 03:14:05PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Joe Buck (Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM):
>
> > The colleague in question was a highly capable developer, who tracked
> > the issue down in detail.  This guy is no slouch, and one of his
> > hobbies was reverse-engineering Tivo boxes as well as defeating some
> > of Tivo's early attempts at defeating such efforts.
>
> {silly wild-assed guess:}  You worked with Tridge, too?

Nope, not him (I did work with Hans Reiser years ago).  Since I don't have
the guy's permission I'll keep him anonymous, though I recall raising the
same argument (how do you *know* it was an openssh hole?) and he convinced
me (maybe by verifying that the hole was still open by attacking
himself?, don't recall).