[svlug] botnets

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 8 11:27:45 PST 2007

Quoting Skip Evans (skip at bigskypenguin.com):

> How susceptible are Linux workstations running
> distros like Debian, etc, to botnets?

That's rather like asking "How vulnerable is an unmonitored, empty house
to _burning down_ after being left with unlocked windows, occupied by
squatters, and trashed for a year or two?"

P.S.:  I enjoyed this article recently, and leave its applicability to
your question as an exercise for the reader:
http://www.debuntu.org/intrusion-detection-with-aide
And this one's still pretty decent after six years, too:
http://security.itworld.com/4352/LWD000829hacking/pfindex.html

--
Cheers,                               I remember Fred, 1919 - 2005.
Rick Moen                        http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/fred.html
rick at linuxmafia.com