[svlug] call for volunteers

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 16:46:50 PST 2007

I've been asked by a number of volunteers and SVLUG attendees to
identify various areas where volunteer help is needed.

The short answer is, "almost everywhere"... a longer answer follows.
If you're interested in helping out, and you're open to a bit of
guidance regarding the details, it's pretty much a given that we will
appreciate your help.

I might be missing a few things (hell, probably am) but I'll make a
try at listing what's going on in SVLUG.  We have the following
ongoing efforts (one, the newsletter, is just beginning):

We have a monthly meeting with the following roles:
- meeting master of ceremonies
- meeting pizza/snacks team
- meeting "A/V crew" handling video, microphones, etc.
- meeting speaker coordination team finding new speakers
- post-meeting cleanup/shepards so we leave at a reasonable hour

We have a monthly installfest with the following roles:
- installfest host representative (Jason Collins, from Google)
- installfest coordinator
- regular helpers (most often attend just to help others)

We have an idea to start a monthly newsletter
- We already have volunteer editors
- columnists, news junkies, and proofreaders are needed for this
- I'm probably missing other volunteer oportunities re: the newsletter

We have an existing mailinglist/web server
- it's frozen, in that we're not adding/managing new stuff on it
- mailinglist administration is an ongoing burden
- webserver administration is an ongoing burden (updating files w/
info about new meetings, mostly)

We have both a virtual host and a second physical server online
- we'd love help moving the mailinglist and website over to these new servers
- MoinMoin installation / FastCGI expertise needed
... ideally we'll make this work both under lighty and apache
- Lighty and Apache administration expertise needed
- MoinMoin replication expertise needed

We can always use help with...
- intra-lug relations (helping out sister lugs)
- building relationships with educational institutions
- finding new sponsors

Donations of time and strategically appropriate hardware are always appreciated.

If you're interested in helping, I urge you to please start a NEW
thread, on the volunteers mailinglist if possible, to discuss how
you'd like to help out.  If you all reply to this message, it'll be
quite impossible to sort out who's helping with what.

Thanks, and I look forward to working with all of you over the next few years!

-Paul Reiber
President, SVLUG
http://svlug.org