[svlug] Mounting USB drive

Mark msalists at gmx.net
Fri Jan 5 11:21:09 PST 2007

Hello again,

I got another one - how do I mount an external USB hard disk?
I googled and it looks like everybody just magically has a /dev/sd? or dev/hd? to start with.

For some reason I don't, although it seems that the drive is at least to some degree recognized and accepted.

"kudzu -p" shows:
class: HD
bus: USB
detached: 0
desc: "Seagate ST94811U2-RK"
usbclass: 8
usbsubclass: 6
usbprotocol: 80
usbbus: 4
usblevel: 2
usbport: 1
usbdev: 3
vendorId: 0bc2
deviceId: 0502
usbmfr: Seagate
usbprod: ST94811U2-RK

Note that there is no "device:" entry like there is for the other hard disks

"lsusb" shows:
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0bc2:0502 Seagate RSS LLC
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 413c:a001 Dell Computer Corp. Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I plugged the drive in after the system was booted.

How do I find (or create) the proper /dev entry to go with it? In case it helps to see which ones I have, I attached them below (I
left out the tty ones to keep it short). Since the disk is listed at bus 4, device 3 I tried fdisk and mount on all /dev/usb4.3_*
devices, but always got "Unable to open" from fdisk and  "is not a block device" from mount.

Thanks,

MARK

Content of /dev (minus the tty's):
bus