[svlug] Taking images of a system before upgrades

Scott Hess scott at doubleu.com
Fri Jan 5 10:35:03 PST 2007

On 1/5/07, Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:07:17 -0800, Mark wrote:
> > - If I have a big HD that is mostly empty, the image should not use up more
> > than is really necessary. I don't want to store 100GB of nothing
>
> Anything wrong with rsync? Just do a grub-install afterward.

I use rsnapshot for backups, which is an rsync wrapper, and have
reconstructed machines a couple of times from backup.  I'd say do the
rsync while running, then idle everything (or go to single-user) and
rsync again before doing the upgrade.  Run rsync as root so that you
get permissions and stuff right.

Also, you probably want to capture some other information.  Off the
top of my head, capture the output of df, df -i, fdisk -l,
lv/pv/vgdisplay if you're using lvm, plus ...

Heck.  Goto http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/LinuxSystemInfoScript ,
there's a script there which dumps a bunch of this stuff, and you
never know what will be useful.  [I see that the site appears to be
down, currently, sigh.]

-scott

, which I eventually adapted to the script I use.