[svlug] Swap partition on a logical Volume?

Jeff Frost jeff at frostconsultingllc.com
Wed Jan 3 17:54:56 PST 2007

>From wikipedia:

However with the 2.6 Linux kernel swap files are just as fast as swap
partitions, this recommendation doesn't apply much to current Linux systems
and the flexibility of swap files can outweigh those of partitions. And since
modern high capacity hard drives can remap physical sectors you're not even
guaranteed that a partition is contiguous, and even if it were, having the
swap data near the rest of your data will reduce seek times when swapping was
needed, so the performance claims in the earlier pargraphs probably do not
apply to modern Linux systems.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner 	<jeff at frostconsultingllc.com>
Phone: 650-780-7908	FAX: 650-649-1954