[svlug] Hardware compatibility with Redhat Linux 9

Wayne Earl wayne at qconcepts.net
Tue Jun 29 05:23:04 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 10:20:11PM -0700 or thereabouts, Usha Hari wrote:
> Thanks.  You are right, the workstation is V3,
> on the box though, it says 9.
>
> Is there any particular model in Dell that would work
> with RedHat V3?

I have two suggestions:

1. Experiment. Install the software on a workstation. What hardware
   works? What does not?

2. Contact Red Hat support for assistance. This is what you are paying
   for.

There is nothing "magical" about Dell hardware. It's no different than
other x86 hardware. Given this, I would suggest offhand that you may
have some issues getting certain soundcards to work, and may need
manufacturer specific binary drivers to take advantage of hardware 3d
axcelleration in your video card. Modems may also be an issue as well
(as most are now Winmodems), but it seems to be rare these days to
find a modem in an office system (laptops are a different story).

--
Wayne Earl <wayne at qconcepts.net>
gpg public key: http://www.qconcepts.net/key.txt