[svlug] VideoLan on RedHat 9.0

ian maclure ibm1130 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 17 09:46:28 PDT 2004

On 15 Jun 2004 22:49:01 -0700, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 08:42, ian maclure wrote:
> > I tried installing VideoLan (VLC) on what I assume is a dead bog
> > standard RH9.0 box ( a Dell 650N bought with RH9 as the OS ).
> > I downloaded what the VideoLan folks claim are the RPM packages
> > required.
> > There seem to be a number of omissions in what the tarballs contain
> > which leave the install terribly unhappy.
> > Has anybody tried installing VLC on their own RH9.0 machine using the
> > same process.
>
> http://dag.wieers.com/ has pre-built Videolan packages for RH9 and
> FC1/2.

	Much obliged.

	The problem was the crap storm inherent in the
	vlc-binary tar ( 30 rpms ) I downloaded.

	All I really needed was ( in this order ):

		faac-1.23.5-1.fr.i386.rpm
		faad2-2.0-1.fr.i386.rpm
		imlib2-1.1.0-1.fr.i386.rpm
		ffmpeg-0.4.8-2.fr.i386.rpm

	The preceding were extracted from the crap storm.

		videolan-client-0.5.3-2.dag.rh90.i386.rpm

	Got that from Dag Wieers as suggested.

	And <French-Ptui>Voila</French-Ptui>.

	IBM