[svlug] Bash Users: This will change your life

Rick Schultz bloodyvikings at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 29 14:27:30 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:18:58AM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
> So what happens when you have a subdirectory that has the same name as
> a common Unix command?

The builtin `.' command comes to mind....  Not to mention the multitude
of other ambiguities.  How would this interact with $CDPATH or
cdable_vars ?  (I know it doesn't, but is there even a way it could
behave and still be consistent with the rest of bash?)

> > I submitted this to the bash mailing list, and never got a reply.  Maybe
> > someone here knows a better way to get it considered.

Hard to say, but I'd guess at a minimum, they'd want it as a shopt, and
off by default.  Ideally, it'd handle all of the other cd-related
functionality that currently exists.  But if that were all, they'd
probably have asked for that directly.

Maybe Chet doesn't like his shell being compared to 4DOS ?

-rick