[svlug] Bash Users: This will change your life

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Thu Jul 29 09:18:58 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 07:21:37PM -0700, Matt Walsh wrote:
> Remember 4DOS? They had this great feature: if you typed a directory all
> by itself on a command line, it would jump to that directory. It saved you
> typing all that 'cd' nonsense.

So what happens when you have a subdirectory that has the same name as
a common Unix command?  If the directory takes priority, you can't run
the command.  If the command takes priority, sometimes you have to type
"cd" and sometimes you don't, and because there are hundreds of commands
you've never heard of, the feature will just wind up being annoying.

> I submitted this to the bash mailing list, and never got a reply.  Maybe
> someone here knows a better way to get it considered.

The bash people are making the correct decision in rejecting your patch,
and are wisely using their time in refusing to engage you in an argument
about it.