[svlug] Bash Users: This will change your life

Matt Walsh mr_walsh at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 19:21:37 PDT 2004

Remember 4DOS? They had this great feature: if you typed a directory all
by itself on a command line, it would jump to that directory. It saved you
typing all that 'cd' nonsense.  When you think about it, this makes sense
as there is never (at least that I can think of) any other case where just
typing a directory does anything else. I mean, why type...

[user at server somedir]$ cd /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/

...when you could type...

[user at server somedir]$ /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/

Go here to read more about it and get the patch.  I would love feedback.
I already can hardly live without it.
http://mattwalsh.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/BashDirectoryJumpPatch

I submitted this to the bash mailing list, and never got a reply.  Maybe
someone here knows a better way to get it considered.