[svlug] what is Intel hyper-threading?

Rick Kwan kwanrj03 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 28 07:38:08 PDT 2004

I'm writing a short report on multithreading in microprocessors.
In a nutshell, I have
  * IBM Power4 and Sun UltraSPARC IV as dual-core processors.
  * Sun's upcoming Niagara as multi-core, with multithreading
    in the core, and seems to be the most ambitious of
    chip multithreading efforts.
  * IBM Power5 introduces multithreading within a core; I can't
    quite distinguish it from the Sun approach.

I can't figure Intel's "Hyper-Threading Technology"; it
doesn't seem to be multiple cores.  Nobody claims it is
emulating multiple CPUs like Niagara.  What the heck is it??

--Rick Kwan