[svlug] Webhosting platform / config tool

Mark msalists at gmx.net
Tue Jul 27 15:23:52 PDT 2004

Hi again,

A friend of mine has a web hosting company that does the usual hosting stuff
(email boxes, domains, websites with some CGI/PHP scripts) for customers. At
the moment, he is using Plesk for configuration, which turned out to be one
of the worst pieces of software I have ever seen - and the support that is
offered by the vendor is about the same quality...

So he is trying to find a replacement for Plesk. I guess most of this stuff
could be done manually or with some simple shell scripts, except for that he
wants to allow users to maintain their own email boxes (create new emails
/delete addresses) within their domains - so this is the minimum requirement
that has to be available through some kind of a permission- and
access-controlled web interface.

What we want to avoid is something that starts replacing, regenerating and
manipulating all kinds of system configuration files and executables, since
this is exactly what causes all the problems with plesk: They replace tons
of files and programs, and if you try updating anything by just downloading
and installing the latest RPM, the server will be flat on its belly.

Does anybody know a more simple platform that does this?

Thanks,

MARK