[svlug] Gnome Window List

Norman Shapiro norm at dad.dad.org
Mon Jul 26 12:34:11 PDT 2004

I hope somebody is able and willing to answer a question about Gnome.

                             BACKGROUND

The Gnome Menu Panel (as distributed by RedHat 9.0) has a window list consisting
of an item for each open window on the current Gnome Workspace.

Once there are 4 or 5 windows on a Gnome Workspace, this window list becomes
hard to use.  This poses an especial problem for most applications which open
several windows.  These applications generate a separate window list item for
each window.

However some applications only generate one window list item no matter how many
windows they have open.  The single window list item for these applications
generates a pop-up menu for all the windows of that application.  Examples of
such applications are Mozilla, yelp (the Gnome help facility) and,
(collectively) all OpenOffice applications.

                             QUESTION

How can can I force an application, that I write, to generate only one window
list item, as Mozilla, yelp, and OpenOffice do?

                          ENVIRONMENT

Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
gnome-session-2.2.0.2-4
Linux version 2.4.20-31.9smp
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz

I have tried to answer this question  by using Gnome's help and by
wondering around http://www.gnome.org -- all to no avail.

    Norman Shapiro
    798 Barron Avenue
    Palo Alto CA 94306-3109