[svlug] Advice on co-locating?

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Sat Jul 24 15:44:31 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 01:03:09AM -0600, skip evans said:
<big snip>
> My request (finally) is what are some opinions and advice on co-locating my
> server at a company somwhere else. It's sitting here now, Brand new 2.4
> Ghz, 80gig, 1 gig memory, etc. Nothing special, but not exactly a slug
> either. Are there services I can ship it to and have it plugged in, or
> would I be better off renting a server from them and keeping this new box
> for a workstation here?

Unless it's a 1U box, forget it. You generally pay for rackspace as well
as bandwidth. I recently did some research on this as well as going back
in my archives of SVLUG where other recommendations were given, and
finally went back to servercentral.net which I have used for years. They
are based in chicago, but have datacenters all over (including San
Jose.)

> If I want FreeBSD 4.9, PHP, MySQL, etc on a rented machine, will they let
> me do all the configuring and set up, or do they insist on doing it and
> charging you for it?

Most have a base install (imaged) that's ready to go, and let you
customize from there where you can nuke much of what is on the machine.
Setup charges are generally minimal, but again only for the stock
environment.  Since you probably won't have a true remote console, it's
kinda hard to do your own install from scratch. Some hosting companies
do run on BSD, so if that's what you want you will have to dig for it.