[svlug] How to get process information when kernel complains out of memory?

Henry Jen henryjen at ztune.net
Wed Jul 14 22:56:38 PDT 2004

Is there a way to snapshot the process information when the system does
not response due to out of memory? I am looking for a more automatically
way which will snapshot the status automatically when system is running
out of memory because I don't know when will this happen again.

This happened on a P-Pro box with 96 MB of RAM which runs Debian as a
mail/web server, mainly exim3, spamassassin, procmail, mysql, apache2,
courier-imap and sshd. Recently I experienced several times the system
won't response, the only thing I can do is to do the 3-finger-salute to
reboot the system and wait patiently until the system goes off. System
log has entries like this:

Jul 13 18:11:58 hostname kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 2604
(process name).

I would like to figure out how processes ate up all the memory so that a
right solution can be in place.

Thanks,
--
Henry Jen <henryjen at ztune.net>