[svlug] Linux 7.3

Ravenderg@aol.com Ravenderg at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 14:47:41 PDT 2004

I have installed Linux 7.3 on a Pentium 4 machine. I must work with 7.3 as
the software I want to use runs on 7.3.

Also this software uses licensing manager and hostid to a desktop machine.
Hostid for standalone machine is the hex ethernet address of the card, it seems.

Here are the problems where I need help:

1- I want to use USB memory stick so I can exchange files with other
machines. How do I do this. When ever I plug my memory stick, it hangs up the machine
and the only way to recover is to reboot the machine.

2- When I reboot the machine, one of the boot messages say:

eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

which makes me believe that the ethernet card is not recognized and needs
installation. If I do not have this, the software I want to run will fail because
the licensing manager will not be able to find the hostid which is ethernet
card id.

Thanks for your anticipated help.

Sincerely
Ravender Goyal