[svlug] linux SATA raid install

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Wed Jul 14 05:35:21 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 10:17:18PM -0700, Drew Bertola said:
> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 16:10, David Hummel wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 12:54:13PM -0700, Drew Bertola wrote:
> > >
> > > I've used 3ware SATA RAID cards (which I like) and Intel SATA RAID cards
> > > (which I don't like).
> >
> > Which models?
>
> I believe the intel card was an ICH5.  I had problems w/ that and also
> w/ an early 4 port SATA card from Highpoint (dma on only one port per
> chip, not both).
>
> I had no problems w/ 3ware SATA cards  I used the 4 port model there as
> well (8504???).

I have an Asus  P4C800-E Deluxe MB that has both the Intel ICH5R and
Promise SATA RAID onboard. I had to patch the kernel with libata to use
SATA drives at all.

Unfortunately, Debian does not yet have this patch (at least the installer
disks including the new Sarge installer.) I was able to boot Knoppix and
install debian from there, pulling over a custom kernel package compiled
on another box.

The Promise controller is total garbage IMHO (not hardware raid from
what I was able to find out,) and I was not able to get the kernel to
recognize it. I'm using the Intel ICH5R SATA ports and have had zero
troubles.

libata delivers ICH5R SATA drives as scsi drives.

I've heard Great things about 3ware and driver support. Apparently they
do NOT keep changing the low level interface which keeps the driver
fairly static (IIRC) unlike other manufacturers. When I need to add more
drives, I'm getting a 3ware card.