[svlug] kernel recompile redhat 9 dual xeons

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Wed Jul 7 13:05:14 PDT 2004

I wrote:
>> Use i686.

>From: Gordon Vrololjak <gvrdolja at nature.Berkeley.EDU>
>To: Ian Kluft <ikluft at thunder.sbay.org>
>Subject: Re: [svlug] kernel recompile redhat 9 dual xeons
>
>So not Pentium IV?  That was my first guess..
>Thanks for the help.

My quick answer was from thinking along the lines of the more generalized
kernels found with most Linux distributions.  But that's not what you
were asking...

So if you're sure the kernel will only be used on that machine, go ahead
and dig into the most specific parameters available.  So your guess is
correct - that would be CONFIG_MPENTIUM4 for your system.