[svlug] kernel recompile redhat 9 dual xeons

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Wed Jul 7 12:10:08 PDT 2004

>From: Gordon Vrololjak <gvrdolja at nature.Berkeley.EDU>
>I need to recompile my kernel and I was wondering which processor family
>to choose?  I don't see the option for Xeon in the list.  I see PIII, PIV,
>386, 486, etc, etc; but no Xeon.  I tried doing a search for the answer on
>redhat/google, but couldn't find it.  Its the first time I'm doing a
>kernel recompile for a Xeon, so its new to me.
>
>The kernel is 2.4.20-31.9smp that I'm trying to install.
>
>The hardware is dual Xeon 2GHz, 533 MHz bus, 512kb l2 cache (SL6NP)
>Thanks, any advice  appreciated.

Use i686.

Remember that "Pentium" was named with the prefix "pent" for 5.
Intel started using names like that when a court said AMD could
use the number 486 and Intel couldn't trademark the number.

So Pentium was the name for the 586.  Then the Pentium II was the 686.
For the Linux kernel, everything Intel 32-bit after that has still been
compiled as i686.

For AMD Athlons, there is a specific "athlon" setting.