[svlug] [this] month's meeting - dinner site

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Mon Jul 5 23:08:53 PDT 2004

I'm catching up on some SVLUG mail I missed during the past month.
I had three trips out of town for rocket launches (which I go to a lot)
and one trip to help on the crew at a fireworks show (which I had never
done before.)  On the morning all of you were discussing this topic,
I was in Mojave at the SpaceShipOne launch.  (Pictures are posted at
http://www.stratofox.org/pics/ss1-20040621/ )  Actually, when Ian MacLure
posted the original message at 8:21AM, SpaceShipOne had just landed.
By the Margaret posted her message a little after noon, I was just
leaving Mojave.

>Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:14:47 -0700
>From: M Wendall <mwendall at earthlink.net>
>To: ibm1130 at sbcglobal.net
>Cc: svlug at lists.svlug.org
>
>It sounds to me as if Ian would be just the person to pen the letter to
>IHOP. (His credentials are excellent!) In my times of travel, I've found
>the pancakes at IHOP to be good for breakfast, but the service deserves
>a -10 out of 0 to10. Incidentally, that isn't why I don't join the
>members at the after meeting dinners. I live in the totally opposite
>direction - south.
>Margaret Wendall

Well, there are no restaurants open late in North San Jose.  There are
few at all since it's an industrial-zoned area.

I know some people disliked the Denny's in Milpitas (on 237/Calaveras
at Abel, near I-880) because they failed to line up enough staff before
even when warned we were coming.  But they now advertise themselves as
a free WiFi hotspot, which may change people's inclination toward them.
They're the only free WiFi hotspot (that I've heard of) on this side of
Silicon Valley that serves more than coffee.

>ian maclure wrote:
>>	As some of you are aware, the usual venue for our post meeting
>>	dinner has decided they don't want to deal with large groups
>>	except as small groups. Basically, if we push the tables
>>	together, everyone at the  touching tables goes on the same
>>	bill.
>>	While we could game their silly rules by leaving a few inches
>>	between tables I expect we'd find IHOP management changing the
>>	requirements to make that difficult as well.
>>	Best thing, absent IHOP climbing down would be to find another
>>	place to eat.
>>	We could also maybe have the SVLUG executive send a letter to
>>	IHOP on our [do we have one] letterhead asking them to
>>	reconsider. Hell, I'd even volunteer to write it but for the
>>	fact I belong to the Rick Moen High Explosive Missives school
>>	when it comes to confronting the stupid and annoying.
>>	Its a pity that Garrison Keillor's mythical Association of
>>	Associations doesn't exist as that would allow some leveraging
>>	of our collective displeasure.

It doesn't have to be a big formal letter.  They were apparently aware of
our objections when I arrived there last time and they pointed me at the
sign someone left saying everyone from SVLUG was at Bennigan's.

It's only worth the effort to write the letter if you think they can be
convinced to change back.