[svlug] Desktop usage of Linux LVM.

Mike Castle dalgoda at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 26 17:02:39 PST 2003

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 01:04:42AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 11:21:40PM -0700, Scott Hess wrote:
> > have LVM expose partitions for filesystems to live on.  My understanding
> > is that, perhaps with some amount of annoyance, I can resize ext2/3
> > filesystems nowadays, and LVM can resize and move the partitions, so in 18
> > months when I get my 2x250Gig drives, I can just RAID1 them together, give
> > the space over to LVM, tell LVM to move the data over to the new space,
> > resize the partitions, resize the filesystems, etc, and everyone will be
> > happy.
>
> That's correct.
>
> > OK, enough with the theory - has anyone done stuff like this in a
> > low-volume situation?  What I find attractive about LVM is that if I want

I do stuff like this all the time.

I have 5 drives ranging from 13G to 60G in the same machine.  All under LVM
control.  What I do is break down various file systems and give them each
characteristics, generally different bytes/inodes.  I keep each file system
near 80% or so.  When it fills up beyond that, I use lvextend to give it
more space.  When the volume runs out, I buy another disk, pvmove stuff off
the smallest, then take out the smallest and pass it on down to the next
machine.

Actually, it was very handy when I had a harddrive die on me.  I was able
to pvmove everything off of that harddrive before it died completely.
Occasionally I defrag the LVs, but since they tend to get increased in 1G
increments, usually less for a performance increase than the fact that I
got bored and wanted to move things around just because I can.

Cheers,
mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda at ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/