[svlug] Re: SCO - IBM Lawsuit

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 25 01:32:24 PDT 2003

on Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 08:34:16AM +0200, Mario de Sousa (mcd at jhb.ucs.co.za) wrote:
> Thanks a lot guys. Helped a great deal.
>
> I believe some might have misunderstood my meaning of "brief update". I
> expected nothing more than two or three sentences. Something like :
> Lawsuit still is progress. May go on for years. For more detailed update
> go to www..... At the moment I have no concerns. I don't believe SCO have
> a solid case against IBM.

Nutshell:

The case is still on.  Schedule is for a trial in April, 2005.
Meantime, Red Hat has sued for declaratory judgement agaisnt
Caldera/SCO, and IBM has subpoenaed Caldera/SCO _and_ the Canopy Group.

While the case may not be solid, it's likely to be somewhat expensive.
Unless IBM can uncover some third party who's playing puppetmaster
behind the scenes, which many consider to be likely.  And we're likely
going to be dealing with this, answering questions for scared clients
and/or would-be GNU/Linux converts, and putting up with clueless (or
shilling) "journalists" and "analysts" for some time.  So staying
abreast and keeping in fight mode ain't a bad plan.

Peace.

    Bush/Cheney '04: The economy's stupid!