[svlug] Any stories concerning Gentoo?

Kevin J. Anderson lestat at counter-strike.net
Wed Oct 22 08:54:32 PDT 2003

->-----Original Message-----
->From: svlug-bounces+lestat=counter-strike.net at lists.svlug.org
->[mailto:svlug-bounces+lestat=counter-strike.net at lists.svlug.org]On
->Behalf Of Karl Larsen
->Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 9:17 AM
->To: M. Drew Streib
->Cc: svlug at lists.svlug.org
->Subject: Re: [svlug] Any stories concerning Gentoo?
->
->On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, M. Drew Streib wrote:
->
->> On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 07:45:32PM -0700, Ron wrote:
->> >  - Tired of playing the [major] upgrade game
->>
->> That is a very big deal, but is honestly _much_ better handled in Debian
->> than in Gentoo.
->
->	I think your going to be disappointed with Gentoo. It is
->interesting but I think Red Hat 9 does have some GUI devices that when
->learned are easy to use and not a problem, and I get for free a lot of
->good engineering with Red Hat.
->
->	Red Hat loads in a couple of hours. If it takes several days to
->load Gentoo, that means you at least know a lot about it! For a desktop
->user Red Hat wins hands down.

thats also not true, as with the 1.4 release of gentoo, you have the option
to install gentoo completely with out needing an internet connection or
compiling packages once you download the isos... I did a stage3 install the
other day, in about 30 minutes.  that included the time it took me to
compile the kernel, but there is even a package kernel option.

kev