[svlug] Any stories concerning Gentoo?

Kevin J. Anderson lestat at counter-strike.net
Wed Oct 22 08:51:11 PDT 2003

->-----Original Message-----
->From: svlug-bounces+lestat=counter-strike.net at lists.svlug.org
->[mailto:svlug-bounces+lestat=counter-strike.net at lists.svlug.org]On
->Behalf Of Ron
->Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 8:59 AM
->To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
->Subject: Re: [svlug] Any stories concerning Gentoo?
->
->>
->You may be correct, that is why I'm only committing a test system to
->this experiment. I have always compiled my own kernels and realized the
->performance increase, a distribution that offers compiled CPU specific
->binaries at the cost of questionable security when that's what I always
->assume but guard against anyway... it's hard to turn down ;-)
->
->Thank you for your response, you brought out several valid concerns, I
->will be sure to consider them if I do choose to go the Gentoo route.

There is no reason to call gentoo insecure what so ever in my opinion.
Gentoo by default doesnt even have sshd started.  And, they have what are
called GLSA (gentoo linux security announcment) emails that immediately let
you know if there is an issue, and they are pretty much always immidiately
updatable with a fixed package or ebuild revision.

gentoo-sources kernel comes with grsecurity built in, along with other great
kernel patches.  there is a gentoo-hardened group that are working on all
kinds of different high-security options for gentoo linux.

I would never call gentoo "insecure".   There may be other OS's that are
more "secure" but gentoo is certainly towards the top of the list in my
opinion.

kev