[svlug] Any stories concerning Gentoo?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Oct 22 07:35:03 PDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:36:09 -0700
"J. Paul Reed" <preed at sigkill.com> wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2003 at 20:51:39, Sumeet Singh Parmar moved bits on my disk
> to say:

> > With gentoo, it takes about 2-3 days to build the system from stage1

> I've seen this claimed twice now and I have to ask "What the hell?"

I tried with a PII 233MHz 128Mb RAM.
And it took at least between 30 to 40 hours to have X and KDE.
OpenOffice seemed to require one day alone but I never fnished to
compile it cos not enough HD space.

> never really liked Debian; in that vein, I like the fact that with
> Gentoo's USE flags, *I* can decide what goes on my system... not some
> Debian (or RedHat or Mandrake or SuSE) package maintainer.

> Turning off ALL of the KDE and Gnome crap and still have everything
> "magically" work was a great feeling... and proved that no, you
> actually*don't* need a "desktop environment" to get your work done.

Exactly. I tried it for the same reasons and regarding these issues
Gentoo is fantastic, not just for speedup.
But as I said I had a definitively bad experience about stability...
Unless I plan to make a personalized stage3 for all my boxes, backing up
a Gentoo system is a PITA... and then you'll have to update your stage3
every time you do a "fat" emerge.

Lack of stability and high cost of backup still scare me.
I know Gentoo has a bunch of tools to make binary packages and maybe it
improved on stability but I'd like to hear some more *unbiased* success
stories before moving my desktop to Gentoo...